Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 loaf sourdough baguette, sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 heavy cream
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- butter/olive oil for cooking
- Place 1 tablespoon each butter and oil in a heavy skillet, and set it to heat over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla. Stir till smooth but not foamy. Pour the batter into a shallow casserole dish or wide bottomed bowl.
- Place two pieces of bread in the pan; let them soak for about 30 seconds, then turn them over, and let soak for about 30 seconds on the other side. You want the bread to absorb some of the liquid, but not to become soggy.
- Place the bread in the skillet and fry till the underside is golden brown; this should take about 2 minutes. Turn the bread, and fry on the second side for about 2 minutes. Again, it should be golden brown.
- Repeat until you run out of bread or egg mixture (or, ideally, both, but you know that never happens.) When all the pieces are cooked, serve the French toast with soft butter and maple syrup. Or dust it with confectioners' sugar or cinnamon-sugar!