Gluten Free Blueberry Scones
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45-55 minutes
Oven temperature: 350 degrees
390 grams gluten free flour (Cor’s note: 3-1/8 cups)
2 tablespoons sugar (plus some for dusting the top)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ to ½ tsp kosher salt (Cor’s note: you can sub sea salt)
114 grams butter (Cor’s note: 1/2 cup or 8 tbsp)
1 lemon zest
1 orange zest (Cor’s note: I used a grapefruit. Who knew?)
177 ml buttermilk (1 cup) – (Cor’s note: ¾ cup)
1 egg (cold)
250 grams blueberries (Cor’s note: 1 cup frozen blueberries)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 lemon’s juice
1. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, sugar. Cut in butter. Chill for 15 minutes.
2. Combine buttermilk, egg, lemon and orange zest. whisk.
3. Mix the flour mixture until butter breaks down to small pea size. Slowly add the buttermilk mixture AND blueberries. As dough JUST forms, stop mixing and use hands to incorporate any flour let on the bottom of the pan.
4. Put in freezer for 15 minutes (if the dough is not staying together.)
5. Form into a ball with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a silpat if you have one).
6. Use a rolling pin to flatten into a round about ½ inch thick
7. Use a sharp knife to cut into eighths.
8. Sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake 50 minutes, let cool 30 minutes (or as long as you can.)