Today is a sad day at Garlic My Soul as Jennie has come down with a nasty flu. Jeff has been doing an excellent job keeping her full of fluids and soup and crackers, and I’m going to do my part and make her some homemade chicken soup tonight.
I found this receipt on epicurious.com for what looks like a pretty simple Chicken Rice soup with all the essential ingredients. I like it because I can just buy a rotisserie chicken which will make the whole thing so much faster.
- 1 (2-lb) rotisserie chicken
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 medium onion, quartered and left unpeeled
- 6 fresh parsley sprigs plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (80 fl oz)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
One of the recipe comments suggested cutting the rice in half, adding some leeks and some garlic. I’ll keep you posted on the results.
Do you have any good flu food suggestions?