Guys, I love salad and I love salmon and I love lots of colors in my food.
Do you ever just start to feel rundown and realize that you need to eat a bit of fish and a pile of vegetables? Jeff doesn’t love fish, so when I know he’s not going to be about I always make sure to buy something from the sea to whip up for myself.
This salad started off simply; some salmon, seared on each side with olive oil for about a minute, and then cooked for 5-7 minutes in a 425 degree oven. I seasoned with a little salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, while the salmon was in the oven, I put together a simple salad: kale, spinach, blueberries, goat cheese, and walnut pieces. I dressed this with some homemade dressing: equal parts olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice.
When the salmon was done, I placed it on top of the salad, and voila! Done. Easy lunch or dinner with an amazing protein.
Here’s the recipe.
1/2 pound salmon
1 bag or bunch of kale, chopped
1 bag or bunch of spinach
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 – 1 pint blueberries
1/2 cup walnuts
1 lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Salt and pepper the salmon and place skin side up into a hot cast iron pan that’s been greased with olive oil. Saute on one side for one minute, then flip and do the other side.
2. Place the whole cast iron pan in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through. Meanwhile:
3. Make your salad: combine kale, goat cheese, blueberries, and walnuts and toss.
4. Make your salad dressing: combine equal parts lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil in a jar and shake well. Dress your salad.
5. When your salmon is done, place filet on top of the salad – serve! Makes enough for two hefty salads.
Enjoy! I hope you love this simple salad as much as Eva and I did. Because we ate it in about 10 seconds flat!