Type: Dessert, Treats
Oven Temperature: 375°
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour
- 1 3/4 cup all purose or white wheat flour
- 6 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix the flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the butter and use a pastry blender or fork to incorporate until butter is pea sized.
- Add 5 tablespoons of ice water and pulse until the dough just comes together (if still too dry, add additional water, a teaspoon at a time).
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a flattened round about 6 inches in diameter. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. While the dough is chilling, make the filling.
- Mix remaining sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon together. Add blueberries and toss to coat. Refrigerate until it's time to put the whole thing together.
- When the dough is ready: preheat oven to 375, then roll out dough onto a piece of parchment. Pile blueberries (including liquids) into the center, then pleat the dough up to the center.
- Beat egg and put an eggwash on the dough, followed by a sprinkling of coarse sugar. Place in oven for 30-45 minutes, until blueberries are bubbly and dough is browned. Serve with ice cream!