Type: Casserole, Main Course
Oven Temperature: 400°
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup rice, black or wild preferred
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and diced
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounce cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans tuna, about 10 oz
- Dice your onion. In a medium saucepan, place one tablespoon butter, then the onion, cooking for about three minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, then add rice. Cook rice to box/bag instruction length.
- Chop your kale and grate your cheeses.
- Turn on your oven to 400 degrees. Then, make your cheese sauce: put two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add flour and whisk, stirring for two minutes. Add milk and spices and stir until thickened, about five minutes. Add cheeses (reserving a little to sprinkle over the top), and whisk until incorporated, then remove from heat, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Open tuna cans and mash with a fork. Add tuna, cheese sauce, and rice to a casserole dish. Mix well, then add kale and mix well and even out. Top with cheese and place in oven for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve hot!