I’ve been looking for easy but delicious weeknight dinners, and I have another to report.
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 oranges, zested
- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola or safflower oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds chicken breast tenders, 2 packages, sliced on an angle into bite-size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow skinned onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots, store bought, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
- 6 scallions, cut on an angle into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup snow peas, a couple of handfuls
- 4 rounded tablespoonfuls chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons dark soy, Tamari
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 orange, juiced
I wanted veggies, and meat, and wanted it to be quick. I also didn’t want to use chicken because I feel like we eat a lot of chicken around my house, but upon making it with beef I’m going to go ahead and suggestion chicken. Aren’t you glad I’m the guinea pig for these things?
Here are my veggies. The recipe calls for:
1 medium yellow skinned onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
1 cup shredded carrots, store bought, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
6 scallions, cut on an angle into 2 inch pieces
1 cup snow peas, a couple of handfuls
Let me tell you something. I hate shredded carrots. I think they are dumb. Why do people insist on putting these in a recipe? Why can’t you let the carrots BE carrots?!
Look at those delicious carrots! Who would want them shredded??