2 cups water
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 and a ½ cups olive oil (could also try subbing in ghee or coconut oil)
2 green plantains
Salt / pepper
1. Put water, garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Peel and slice plantains
3. In a large pan heat olive oil (325 degrees recommended)
4. Add plantains to pan in a single layer. Fry for 1-1/2 minutes.
5. Flip and fry again.
6. Remove the plantains and place them on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
7. Use a flat spatula or slated wooden spoon to squash each plantain (you want to press them down to about half their width).
8. Put the plantains in the water mixture. Let sit for 1 minute.
9. Remove them and pat out extra moisture with paper towels.
10. Bring the oil back up to 325 degrees F.
11. Add plantains back in. Fry for 2-4 minutes.
12. Flip. Fry again.
13. Remove the plantains and set on another paper towel. Now for the fun part!
14. Toss the plantains in seasoning. For the home fry style, toss in a medium sized bowl with the paprika and salt and paper. For the dessert style, add the plantains to a bowl, drizzle honey on top, toss, drizzle again, toss and then add your cinnamon. The plantains should be evenly coated. Serve!