Happy New Year Folks! So, 2014 has begun and I hope it’s starting off wonderfully for all of you. With the start of a new year, we all inevitably attempt to change some of our habits, particularly around the portions of our life relating to health and wellness. The holidays are over and the treats and sweets are being swapped out for lots of veggies and fruits.
Alcohol, while enjoyable when had responsibly, can add to your calorie count in a big way. We tend not to think about it so much, but a normal cocktail will run anywhere between 250 and 450 calories, depending on the sugar content. So, in the spirit of the New Year I have worked up a few lower calorie cocktail recipes that hover around the 180 to 200 calorie range. When you are trying to lose those holiday pounds, every calorie can count but there is no reason that the cocktail enthusiast inside of you can’t have something tasty.
Pineapple Gin Fizz
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
1 1/4 cups diced fresh pineapple
1.5 ounces gin (1 Shot)
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup ginger ale
1. Drop 1 cup of diced fresh pineapple into your blender and puree the fruit. Save the remaining 1/4 cup for garnish at the end of the recipe.
2. After the puree is complete, strain the juice into an ice filled glass.
3. Add the gin, the lime juice, and the ginger ale to the glass and give it a quick mix.
4. Then add a few pieces of the remaining pineapple to the glass as garnish.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
1 black tea, mango flavored, tea bag
1 cup of water
1.5 ounces of vodka (1 shot)
1 ounce of sweet vermouth
1 orange wedge for garnish
1. Bring water to a boil and pour water over the tea bag in a mug.
2. Allow the tea to seep for 5 minutes, then remove the tea bag and put the warm mug of tea in the fridge to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Once you remove the tea from the fridge pour the contents into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
4. Add the vodka and vermouth and shake the mixer vigorously for a couple seconds.
5. Pour the contents of the shaker into a ice filled glass and add the orange wedge for garnish.
Prep Time: 2 Minutes
4 ounces grapefruit juice
1.5 ounces cranberry juice
1.5 ounces vodka (1 shot)
1 mint leaf for garnish
1 lemon wedge for garnish
1. Grab a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
2. Add the grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, and vodka to the shaker.
3. Shake the contents for a few moments and then pour the mixture into a chilled glass.
4. Add the mint leaf to the drink and add the lemon wedge to the side of the glass.
Remember to please drink responsibly and good luck with whatever your New Year Resolutions might be.
Good Spirits Folks!