This may seem a bit like overkill. Or at the very least an unnecessary mixing of genres. But take this decadent and fun grilled cheese out for a whirl and it may just become a staple in your sandwich rotation.
Akin to putting potato chips on your ham and cheese as a kid, there’s just something delightful about a sandwich with a little crunch. Butter up the bread, melt the cheese nice and gooey, grab your chips and salsa. You’re in business, my friend.
The final product is delightful and heart-warming. A little reminiscent of the last plate of really great nachos you had from that place down the street, whose name you can’t remember but schedule and cash-only policy you know by heart.
Butter, enough to slather on bread
2 slices Gluten-Free bread of choice (we used Trader Joe’s GF Brown Rice Bread)
6 generous slices cheese (TJ’s heavenly Cheddar Gruyere combo)
1 tablespoon salsa
1 handful lightly crushed tortilla chips
avocado, for serving, optional
1. Preheat your skillet to a low setting. Butter both sides of your bread (trust us, though this gluten free bread looks and feels cardboard-like, given some love, butter and toasting it’s just wonderful).
2. Place bread slices in skillet side-by-side and flip both when lightly toasted.
3. Layer cheese on both slices of bread and wait for it to start melting.
4. Choose a side and dollop on salsa, then crushed chips on top.
5. Close sandwich by placing the opposite slice of bread on top of the loaded one. Toast to your preferred perfection.
Or maybe that’s a little too specific. Try it and let us know what memories it drums up for you! Up tomorrow: one more grilled cheese to round out the week – we think this one might be our favorite…