We think bread pudding is an entirely underrated food group – too often attributed to our grandmothers or simply never thought of at all. Which we think is kind of sad because bread pudding has a lot to offer us in the way of comfort, companionship and long-term commitment… I mean deliciousness and hunger-filling-ness.
This bread pudding recipe was originally meant to be sweet took a savory turn when we took that turn down the meat aisle. We just wanted bacon is all. So we adjusted accordingly. With simple ingredients and oh so simple itself to make (and store for breakfast throughout the week) we’re getting into old fashioned bread pudding again.
1 loaf gluten-free bread
2 ½ cups cheese of your choice
1 package bacon
2 cups milk
salt to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a large baking pan and set aside.
3. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
4. Lay bread cubes in greased baking pan.
5. Grate cheese.
6. Precook and chop bacon.
7. Mix the egg, milk, cheese and bacon together.
8. Pour over the bread cubes and mix until each cube is well coated.
9. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate and let sit for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.
10. Remove saran wrap and place in oven.
11. Depending on your oven and how thick your bread is layered bake between 25-40 minutes. Keep an eye on it and remove when the top is golden brown and crispy.
This is great to bring along to a brunch, and no one will even suspect that it’s gluten free in the first place – rejoice! Enjoy, y’all.