I am notoriously bad at eating breakfast. I know, I know! It’s the most important meal of the day. I just never have time for it, since I’m not what you’d call a morning person. When I do remember to grab something on my way out the door, it’s usually full of carbs and sugar. That’s why these muffin tin baked eggs are the perfect solution.
What’s better than a recipe with only three ingredients? This comes together so quickly, and it’s the perfect project for a Sunday afternoon, to make breakfasts for the week ahead.
Brown your sausage for about 10 minutes, then toss the broccoli rabe in the pan for one or two minutes to soften slightly. Fill each muffin cup with a teaspoon of the cooked sausage and broccoli rabe, and fill the rest of each cup with beaten eggs. Bake for about 15 minutes until the eggs firm up, and that’s it! Grab 3 or 4 the next morning and heat them in the microwave for a savory breakfast that takes almost no time.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
1/2 lb spicy pork sausage, casings removed
1 cup broccoli rabe, chopped
6 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Brown sausage in skillet, approximately ten minutes.
3. Toss broccoli rabe with cooked sausage for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
4. Beat eggs together and add salt and pepper.
5. Place a teaspoon sized amount of sausage and broccoli florets in each muffin cup, then fill the rest of each cup with egg.
6. Bake 15 minutes until eggs firm up.
The above recipe makes enough for several servings, but it only uses about half of the sausage that comes in a store-bought package. If that drives you as crazy as it it does me, you can double the recipe and freeze the extra eggs, or saute your extra sausage and broccoli together to serve as a side dish or toss with pasta.